What is Pupil Premium Funding?
Introduced in 2011, the Government introduced the Pupil Premium Grant (PPG). PPG is given in addition to schools' main funding and is allocated to children from low-income families.
In 2019-20, schools received funding for the following groups of pupils:
• Students who have been recorded as being eligible for free school meals at any point in the last six years;
• Students who are in the care of, or are provided accommodation by, a local authority;
• Students who are no longer looked after by a local authority because of adoption, a special guardianship order, a child arrangements order, or a residence order.
If you think your child/ children may be eligible for the PPG, you can use the link below to check - you will need your full name, date of birth and National Insurance Number (or National Asylum Seeker Service Number).
At Mitchell Brook we believe that every child should be supported to achieve success academically, socially and physically no matter what their background. The targeted and strategic use of Pupil Premium Grant (PPG) will support us in achieving this.
1. We ensure that teaching and learning opportunities meet the needs of all of the pupils
2. We ensure that appropriate provision is made for pupils who belong to vulnerable groups, this includes ensuring that the needs of socially disadvantaged pupils are adequately assessed and addressed
3. In making provision for socially disadvantaged pupils, we recognise that not all pupils who receive free school meals will be socially disadvantaged
4. We also recognise that not all pupils who are socially disadvantaged are registered or qualify for free school meals. We reserve the right to allocate the Pupil Premium funding to support any pupil or groups of pupils the school has legitimately identified as being socially disadvantaged.
5. Pupil Premium funding will be allocated following a needs analysis which will identify priority classes, groups or individuals. Limited funding and resources means that not all children receiving free school meals will be in receipt of pupil premium interventions at any one time
The range of provision the Governors may consider making for this group could include:
- Providing small group opportunities for identified children with an experienced teacher.
- Additional teaching and learning opportunities with specialist Learning Support Assistants or relevant external agencies.
- All our work through the pupil premium will be aimed at accelerating progress moving children to at least age related expectations. Initially this will be in literacy and maths
- Pupil premium resources may also be used to target higher attaining children on FSM to achieve greater depth within the expected standard in KS1 or high attainment in the KS2 statutory assessments.
- 1:1 support
Provision will not be aimed at children who already receive targeted funding through an Education Healthcare Plan.
It will be the responsibility of the Headteacher, or a delegated member of staff, to produce regular reports for the Governors’ Curriculum and Staffing Committee on:
- the progress made towards narrowing the gap, by year group, for socially disadvantaged pupils
- an outline of the provision that was made since the last meeting
- an evaluation of the cost effectiveness, in terms of the progress made by the pupils receiving a particular provision
This will be included in the papers for the full Governors.
The Governors of the school will ensure that there is an annual statement to parents on how the Pupil Premium Grant has been used to address the issue of ‘narrowing the gap’, for socially disadvantaged pupils. This will be included on the school website.
1. Narrowing the gaps for both attainment and progress.
2. Accelerated progress of those children identified
3. All socially disadvantaged children will take a full part in the school’s curriculum including educational visits
Our Pupil Premium strategy for 2020-2021 is being revised, due to the impact of Covid-19 and the ongoing adjustments that are being made.
A 2020-2022 strategy will be uploaded pending review.